Friday, September 29, 2006

OMG!!!!

I just saw this and I had to post about it - I still have yet to post about today's run - see danny's blog for a picture of the run.














Apparently Swanson came out with a breakfast meal - called Hungry Man! They have these commercials with overweight-obese men say things like: "I know what I like and I like a lot of it" Now granted I will never eat one of these, nothing to do with health, but rather because they are not kosher - but I always wonder about commercials for food that show huge men.

I went to the Swanson website which has a huge picture of their "HungryMan salisbury steak dinner." It doesn't even look good - but those peas and carrots sure look healthy.

So I went online to find out more about what's in this breakfast and the nutritional contents of this breakfast delicacy. From the picture I saw - it would appear that 3 pancakes, 3 pieces of sausage, a couple of strips of bacon, 2 huge home fries and some sort of fake scrambled eggs. Now that certainly is a lot of food. The box proudly advertises "Over 1lb. of food" - hmmm....does one person really need that much food?


But what really blew my mind was the nutritional contents. 1,030 calories for the whole thing. To put that in perspective - the average male is 5'9". If we assume a weight of 180lbs (giving him a BMI of 26.6 - in the category of overweight) then he will burn off about 2050 calories per day - so he will have consumed >50% of all his calories by the time he finishes breakfast. Now granted the guys in this commercial may have been 5'9" but they were more like 250lbs (BMI=37 = obese), but even so their basal metabolic rate will only burn 2350 calories/day. But let's imagine that I didn't keep kosher and I ate one of these - I could burn off all the calories by doing an 8 mile run. So I could stay skinny, not bad.

But wait! it gets better - it's like one of those late night infomercials. Nearly 100% of one's daily fat intake and >100% of their saturated fat comes from this one meal. 231% of the daily cholesterol - which we know is a risk factor for heart disease. So I guess it's not all good!

But to be fair - It does have 25% of the daily iron and 20% of the daily calcium.

So for all you hungry men out there - go eat!

But wait again! I just had a brilliant idea - I am a very hungry man - what would my day be like if I had the HungryMan breakfast, lunch and dinner. I am going to have the hearty breakfast, the HungryMan buffalo style chicken strips for lunch and look what I found! a HungryMan XXL (1.5 lbs of food - if 1lb wasn't enough).















Here's the totals:
Calories: 1030+920+1450 = 3400
Total Fat: 64g (98%) + 53g (82%) + 58g (89%) = 175g (269%)
Saturated Fat: 21g (105%) + 14g (70%) + 26g (130%) = 61g (305%)
Cholesterol: 230% + 50% + 55% = 335%
Protein 36g + 34g + 47g = 117g

Well at least it's got a lot of protein.

And I wonder why people are so fat! I think I am going to go vomit now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Darrell said...

Way to get Danny out there. A little comraderie (and fear of ambulances, LOL) and the three of you will go far. Nice teamwork.

I'm totally with you on the food thing. Who actually eats that stuff. It's a super sized world, or at least America, and these are part of the reason. Glad you were on the soapbox and I wish more people realized this.

12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home