Thursday, November 02, 2006

Tempo Running



Yesterday was tempo day - my absolute weakest. It's hard for me to maintain the same pace. It was supposed to be 45 minutes - I wanted to run 9:00 pace/8:30 pace/8:00 pace/8:30 pace/9:00 pace. I went running with another friend who did the Ironman last year - he's just getting back into running - but he's much stronger than I am. For whatever reason my Garmin lost its signal about 50 feet into the run and I couldn't get a signal back until 1 mile. The 2nd mile I did about 8:45, the 3rd and 4th at 8:00 and 8:09, and the last mile at 8:39. I guess my tempo didn't work out exactly as I planned it. Total pace time for those 4 miles was 8:19, should have been 8:30 - so I was a little faster than planned. I need to work more on running a consistent pace.

Running the 8 minute miles was tough, especially considering that my last 3 miles on Sunday were about 8:00 - I think my legs are probably still tired from that effort. It never ceases to amaze me how people are able to kick it up a notch on race day. My estimated total time for the full 5 miles last night was probably pretty close to my timing from Sunday's 5-miler - but I felt so much better after that one - maybe I just paced myself better because there were people around me.

Anyway - today is a rest day - though I am considering a short run - not sure. Five more miles at pace on Friday - which I guess for me is somewhere between 8:30 and 9:00/miles. Sunday we're going to run 12 miles and then go watch the marathon. My friend, Ryan, who's running the marathon on Sunday was featured on the local Bronx News network. It was a cute, but a little lame piece. They made him run up and down in front of the camera, they videoed his refrigerator. It was kinda cheesy - but cool that they did a piece on him. GOOD LUCK RYAN!

71 miles last month - a record for me! But then again, everything is a record for me. It's so nice running races these days because everything is a PR. Got the 1/2 marathon coming up in 2 weeks and then a 10k in December - after that I think I will have the basics covered - then it will just be depressing when I don't make another PR. Better savor it while it lasts.

I start my sub-internship, basically I function as an intern in the hospital on Monday. It's going to be hard to continue my training during this next month, but I am really going to try to push myself to get at least 3 runs in per week. I am kicking around the idea of a marathon in the spring - maybe the NJ marathon or the Long Island marathon. I started looking at Hal Higdon's training regimen. Think I am going to take the novice route - 18 weeks of training. I can start the end of December and get those 18 weeks of training in. Any suggestions what I should do if I want to start training a few weeks earlier?

Off to do some real work -

4 Comments:

Blogger Rae said...

Great job with the running! Is the Long Island marathon a pretty big one?

I would go ahead and start early if you want. That way if you want to do a race or need some additional rest time you have some extra weeks built in. I always add a few more 20+ milers than most plans ask for anyway.

Have fun watching NYC this weekend! That has to be an amazing sight!!!

7:12 AM  
Blogger Bridges Runner said...

Pacing is very tough for many. I've been lucky enough to gain that skill [hence my "pacemaster" label] but with it, it made it harder for me to learn how to push harder.

Don't sweat feeling a bit tired this week. Generally, you'll feel worse during workouts and the week after you need that recovery time. You've got the right attitude. Keep it up!

11:37 AM  
Blogger rivkayael said...

Ay. You have my sympathy about the crazy work schedule. After a while though, running or working out becomes the only way you maintain the "barely feeling human" feeling when you've been awake for 36 hours (and your colleagues have been dead for some time). Sleep IS overrated. Go for it!

6:31 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

It's never too early to start training for a marathon. If you like Hal's schedule just do the first couple of weeks, then repeat week 2 or 3 until its time to move on with the rest of the schedule (just a suggestion).

12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home