Saturday, September 30, 2006

Woah! We're half way there!










We're officially 1/2 way trained to the half-marathon. I stole Danny's picture - I really need to figure out how to turn gmap into a pic.

So, I know that I am a day late, but I got busy with my 2 other posts yesterday, so it's only tonight that I got around to writing about yesterday's run. This was another milestone for me - my longest run in my life. The day was a perfect day for running - it was cool, Danny and Sara were a little cool when we started and Sara was also half asleep. I was pumped - I had been talking all week about the 7 miler that we were going to do today. My only hope was that my knee would hold up. I had been doing some extra stretching and my knee had felt really good after the 4.5-miler on Wednesday.

As we started walking to our starting point it started drizzling a little bit - thankfully Danny was like of course we are going to run. The run started off well - we were doing about 10 minute mile pace - my knee started aching a drop about 1.5 miles in - the same that it has on other runs - but nothing too bad. We continued over the bridge and headed towared city island. At about the 3 mile point the trail switched to concrete right before we hit the bridge to city island, which I am thinking wasn't so great for my knee. We continued for another 0.3 miles or so on city island concrete sidewalks. City Island, a place very close to me where I have spent very little time, is so quaint. I never realized what is was. It seems like this fishing town - there are shops that are full of fishing equipment. We must have gotten there about 8:15 or so, maybe a few mintues after, and the place was so quiet. It is so different than the Bronx and the rest of NYC where I have spent all my life. Not sure the pace would agree with me long-term but it certainly was cute in the middle of an earlyish morning run.

Anyway - we reached our halfway point, turned around headed back over the bridge and were 4.1 miles into our run when my left knee all of a sudden really started hurting me - I took another 10 steps or so when my knee totally gave out and I couldn't support any more weight on my left knee. I tried to walk it off for a couple of seconds and Danny and Sara stopped with me. I tried running again, but couldn't. I sent them on ahead. I walked for the next 3-4 minutes, interspersed with attempts to run and couldn't. I finally changed my stride a little bit and began running a little faster and tried to catch up with D&S. I never quite let them out of my sight, I guess it was good that it's a relatively straight run, and after a couple of minutes of painless running I caught up with them. I told them that the quicker pace that I was doing (I have no idea how fast I was going) was easier on my knee and I was going to finish up the run and wait for them at the end.

The rest of the run was relatively painless. Don't have an exact time - probably about 10 minute miles. Couple of points where my knee ached a little, but otherwise no problem. The only thing that was hard about the run was that for most of the run back the wind was blowing in my face - which certainly made the run harder. I can't wait for the rest of the fall and winter runs when I am sure the weather will be just dandy - any suggestions are welcome.

I took a couple more aspirin on Friday afternoon and since have been pain-free. I have no explanation for what happened in the middle of the run and I am definitely greatful that my knee has been in good shape since. A couple of weeks ago I had a lot of pain after a run - and had to take the rest of the week off.

One note: I bought a fluid belt last week and had a chance to use it on Wednesday and Friday. Friday's run I used all 4 bottles, 2 of them I froze halfway and filled the rest in the morning before the run so I could have cool water for the way back. It worked well and I definitely was happy for the water.

Not sure when my next run will be - definitely going to try to run on Tuesday and Thursday (maybe 5-milers each). Have to see if I feel like a run tomorrow morning - but I got Yom Kippur ahead of me with hours of standing in synagogue - so I have to see if I think that's a smart idea. I am leaving for Israel Thursday afternoon for 6 days. Going to try to get at least one run, maybe 2 in Israel - maybe I can do a 7-8 miler next Sunday morning (I only observe one day of holiday in Israel).

To all those fasting tomorrow - have an easy and meaningful fast. And to the few people who have come to my blog who I don't know (Darrell - good luck on your 50 marathons, I will be happy if I ever make it to 1) thanks for coming and dropping me posts. I feel lucky to have joined the RBF family - hopefully soon my blog will be listed on their official list.

Happy running and fair winds.

3 Comments:

Blogger xxZOE said...

WOW. I could never run that much. XD. (Sorry for the random comment, I'm just browsing blogs...)

10:15 PM  
Blogger Danny said...

i think sara and i were doing about 10:30 or 10:40 miles. You probably finished the last 2.5 miles at least 3 or 4 minutes ahead of us, which would probably give you about 9 minute miles or so. either way, i'm sure it won't be long until you join the rest of us running geeks and have some sort of electronic device strapped on, and then you'll know for sure...

btw, to get on the RBF list, just visit their site and sign up. i think there's a button there that allows you to submit your blog. if you have trouble, you can email mark (the blogfather). he's a pretty good guy. (canadian!)

11:09 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

I think you've made the list! Check out: http://completerunning.com/archives/2006/10/01/this-weeks-new-running-blog-family-members-3/

Make you sure Ice that knee. You don't need any IT Band issues. Oh yeah, and stretch. I think we all could stretch more. I know I should, but don't.

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home