Sunday, November 05, 2006

And now begins the taper...


Today was marathon Sunday! How could we not run? I would have felt like such a slacker, though I must say that I was tres jealous of all the people who were actually running the marathon. I further firmed my resolved to enter the lottery for the 2007 ING and to run enough NYRR races in 2007 to guarantee 2008. Whether I will be able to properly train either of those years considering my residency - we shall see - but hopefully the opportunity will be available.

We were scheduled to do 11 miles today and 12 next Sunday - but we decided to do the 12 miler today and a 6 miler next Sunday and start tapering a little earlier. Works out well for me because next Sunday I am on call - so I wouldn't be able to do a long run anyway. We got a little bit of a late start because we went to a party this morning - one of the Rabbis in our community had a baby boy - so we didn't leave until a little after 10 and we got to 96th street on the West Side Highway a little before 11. We decided to run north toward the George Washington Bridge and see how far we could go.

The weather was nice - mid 50's - perfect day for a marathon and a run - my only regret was not taking my running gloves with me. Seems that I have poor circulation in my hands - so my hands were freezing the whole time even though the rest of me was warm in my shorts and long sleeve t-shirt. One cool thing about the map - you can just barely make out the tip of central park in the bottom of the picture. (Not sure what's going on with the water - looks really weird).

We got up to about 125th street at which point the path kind of took a detour through the streets for few blocks until we got back on the path. It was a really nice path - quiet, a little secluded (but not in that "Oh no! someone is going to mug me way") but rather more in the calm and serene way. We ran alongside the tracks - who knew that there were tracks there? Of course there have to be tracks how else does Amtrak and the other trains run north? But now subways run there. Saw a cardinal or a robin? Kind of late in the season for them - I thought.

We ran up toward the George Washington Bridge that looms ahead and then overhead. Right after the bridge we hit the first of two really hard uphills - they totally killed me. About a mile later we hit the second one - and this was only about 4 or so miles in! They were killer. We continued North passed the area that collapsed in 2005. We were almost in Riverdale when we basically had to abandon the running path - though I am sure it continued - and turn around. We were just under 6 miles - but far enough that when we returned to 96th street the extra bit we would have to do wouldn't take us to the cobblestone part in the high 80's. It was hard going back - the 2 steep downhills wreaked havoc on my knees. We had been going at a pretty slow pace - around 10 minute miles. Not too much exciting on the return trip other than nice weather, relaxing run - pain in my knees - and a feeling that I was going to die. I picked up the pace the last coupel of miles and finished by myself - rounding out my last 2 miles in 8:38 and 8:17. Total time 1:55:18, for an average pace of 9:36.

Note to self: the fluid bottles from my fluid belt leak - so when I filled them with red Powerade - they leaked on my shirt. Remember to fill with something clear - or to not wear a white shirt. Cheap fluid belt!

We then walked over to the 5th Avenue to cheer on the marathoners. I remember watching the marathon last year as I tried to find Danny and being awed by the sheer number of people who were pushing their body to 26.2 miles. I remember thinking: "I could never do that" and here I am - just about halfway there - with plans for a marathon in the spring. I am still in awe of these guys - it's an amazing accomplishment - and I will be very happy when I can join their ranks. Besides, the medal that I got from the Poland Spring Warmup race - looks kinda cheesy and lonely - it need neighbors.

I felt particularly bad watching the people who had bleeding nipples run by during the race - I knew the pain they were going through (from that aspect) and how much pain it was going to be later. Sara said to me: "That looks like it must hurt" and I was like: "YAH! A lot!" I asked Danny to take a picture - I was going to post it as a profile picture in their honor.

Coolest part of my day: We met the wife of a friend of Danny's (the friend was running the marathon) and in the course of the conversation she says to me: "Are you bleedingnipples?" and I was like yes I am! I am famous - my first recognition - twas so cool!!!

Anyway, to wrap this up - went to see Borat tonight. Was very funny - though the humor is disturbing in that it clearly illustrates how uneducated many of the people in the country are. It has been said that anti-semitism results from a lack of education - it couldn't be any truer.

Tomorrow to the hospital!!!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, you're ahead of me. i've NEVER been recognized. and i hope not! my blog is kind of ridiculous...you're blog is much more mentally intact!

GREAT RUN TODAY! it's all good from her!

9:50 PM  
Blogger rivkayael said...

Good luck on the sub-i =) Wishing you much sanity and awakenness. Looking forward to much inspiration from your end.

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home