Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Post-fast run - keeping the legs pumping

So as I have mentioned a couple of times over the past week - yesterday was Yom Kippur and was a fast day that started Sunday at sunset and lasted until yesterday at sunset. That means no eating no drinking - the eating wasn't that bad - but I got a headache at the beginning of the fast that lasted on/off for a good chunk of monday, I felt a little dehydrated even though I had hydrated pretty well before the fast. I stayed at Albert Einstein (my medical school) for Yom Kippur (many people my age tend to go home to their parents - but for the last five years I have been there).

Pretty much all day, yesterday, was spent in synagogue in prayers. Both Danny and I led the services. It was really a very moving and emotional prayer time. The idea of the prayers is to repent from the sins that you have done all year and to recognize that distance that you have created between God and yourself. The prayers were a really nice mixture of traditional tunes and more contemporary tunes with the congregation getting very into the prayer (which always makes it nice). My biggest problem with the services that I led was that for the first chunk I couldn't find a good key for the congregation to sing along - so I was singing much higher and by myself for a while. Danny on the other hand had no such problems and did a wonderful job.

Being that we now consider ourselves real runners - and I am certainly addicted to running - we broke our fast around 8:15 last night and the first question that we asked each other was - are we running tonight? I think that everyone that broke their fasts with us and were sitting around the table in Sara's apartment thought we were totally crazy - but we were loving it. By 9:15 we were on the road after doing some decent rehydrating and we did just under 4.5 miles. Did it in about 10 minute mile pace (according to Danny's garmin) - which is a little faster than we have been running up until now. The run definitely felt like we were going faster than that - but who's gonna argue with satellites. My knee only ached a little bit - no more repeat episodes of my knee giving out on me. I have been doing a couple IT band stretches which hopefully (at least psychologically) are helping.

We are nearing that date that I set for myself that if I was still running I was going to register for the LV half - getting really excited. The three of us were discussing it last night - the dates of the trip and other plans - I can't believe this may actually become reality (but until I do it - gotta keep that in check a little). On very exciting news I ordered my garmin 301 last night - gonna hold off on that nano for now - though we're discussing buying matching ipod shuffles and having them engraved something like "Einstein Road Runners 2006," we shall see.

I am off to Israel on thursday - my garmin is coming tomorrow - I signed up for a free trial of amazon prime - and they charge 4 bucks for next day shipping - I thought it was worth it. So I am going to take it to Israel with me for the long run that I have planned for Sunday morning - and then I can post a map from Israel - that will be so cool.

Last note for now: I have been running 3 days a week, 2 mediums and a long - I am thinking about adding a 4th day for a short run (maybe a faster run). I was thinking about running a 5K once a week and trying to get that time down - did about 8:36 at the New Haven road race - and it would be great to get that down to 8:00, if possible. I am hoping for a sub-2:00 half in LV. Don't want to overwork my knee - so we shall see.

Until later - to the library to finish up some papers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home