Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Homeward Bound?

I am currently sitting in Ben Gurion International Airport waiting for my flight back to Newark. The nice thing about this airport as compared to the NY airports is that there is free WiFi - so I can sit here blogging.

Everyday I have been getting a little bit better. After last night's elliptical workout (I can't believe I did a full hour and wasn't dying) my foot felt really good. THis morning it hurt less in the morning than it had yesterday and I did some walking, not too much on it and it's holding up. I definitely pulled something in the arch - but it seems that it's getting better. Thursday will probably be another rest day and I will see how it feels on Friday. I had a scary thought taht maybe it had something to do with my new sneakers. Granted I got the same pair that I already had - but they show up as 2 different shoes on the roadrunner sports website - so I am not sure, maybe they are basically the same with just something a little different. Anyway, been taking chronic motrin - and I am feeling a lot better.

Today I hit the elliptical again, 45 minutes - did it at a pretty brisk pace keeping my average HR in the 160's - I think I get a better CV workout from the elliptical than running - but nothing beats running. I packed - went to visit my brother and his kids. They are so cute! They are such happy kids - I really miss them when I am in America, though I don't do a good job at all of keeping in touch. Maybe I will try to be better about it this year. Got to say goodbye to them which was nice, last night my parents and I went to visit my sister and her kids.

For those who haven't spent time here before it's hard to explain, but I am really sad about leaving. It's more than just the leaving of my family and the end of a vacation. There is something special about Israel - it's the center of 3 major religions and it has so much history. I feel that this is my home and that everytime I leave I am really leaving my home. There is something incredible about walkign in a country where you know that your ancestors walked and lived thousands of years ago - just something you don't have in the US.


















I turned on my Garmin to record the trip to the airport. It was just over 33 miles from my parents' apartment to the airport. One of the things I was thinking was - Hey! There could be a marathon from the airport to the edge of Jerusalem - that's about 26.2 miles. It would be hard to run up to Jerusalem as the path decreases by about 2500 feet as you leave Jerusalem - and running from Jerusalem to the airport wouldn't be nearly as exciting.

On a side note: Congratulations to Darrell on finishing the Saint George Marathon (a PR for him - he has now finished 7 marathons in 7 states, only 43 states to go) and to Shoreturtle on running the 18 mile Long Beach Island Memorial.

4 Comments:

Blogger Danny said...

have a safe flight.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Welcome back!
So are you from the New York and the rest of your family relocated to Israel, or did you grow up in Israel and relocate to NYC?

12:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, welcome back. i'm sorry about your foot. if it helps, EVERY new runner does that-does too much and gets hurt and runs anyway. EVERYONE. I don't know anyone who hasn't.

I would definitely like to ask you questions about your trip. It would be very cool if you could leave your e-mail on my blog on a comment. Only I would see it (other people who clicked on your name would just g

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, welcome back. i'm sorry about your foot. if it helps, EVERY new runner does that-does too much and gets hurt and runs anyway. EVERYONE. I don't know anyone who hasn't.

I would definitely like to ask you questions about your trip. It would be very cool if you could leave your e-mail on my blog on a comment. Only I would see it (other people who clicked on your name would just g.

I have travelled by train to various countries at various times of the year and I have encountered problems with frozen diesel, frozen power lines, cows on the track, melted rails and signal failures but only in England have I come across delays caused by leaves on the line.
To top it all this is not an isolated incide

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home