Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Life doesn't end just because you don't run....does it?

Ok...hit a snag in my training (if you want to even call it that - more of just pseudo-training for a half marathon...hey! maybe that's the problem!). I am still in Israel and I last ran Sunday morning, not my best run ever. Since then I have been plagued with two problems: 1) my typical left knee problems, which have resolved mostly with stretching, 2) severe pain in my right arch. Not sure what it is - but I think it's either plantar fasciitis or a march fracture (I certainly hope that it's the former).

The foot pain has been so severe that it has pretty much curtailed my ability to ambulate which means that I haven't been able to do activities with my nieces and nephews while I am here (this stinks because I only see them once or twice a year). I have been reading up on plantar fasciitis and have tried to do some of the stretches that were suggested, but nothing seemed to improve it. (Yes! I am very impatient, I don't want to have to wait for things to get better - I want to be able to stretch the pain away in an hour). So I have been immobile - bummer!

Twas interesting, was listening to an early Phedippidations about the need for rest tonight and Steve was saying that a lot of people believe that the answer to running injuries is not rest - but rather getting back out there - unless the running is going to make the injury worse. (I told this to my Mom - who asked the obvious question - how do you know if it's going to get worse? Valid question, but I guess you just kinda figure it out). This is an interesting approach, maybe the best way to resolve the arch pain is to get back out there. I have a theory as to what happpened. The path was very bumpy, cracked and cratery and also about 5 miles in I started having some shin splints (damn you Osgood and Schlatter), I think I might have changed my stride, or repeatedly landed in a strange way on my arch over-stretching the plantar fascia.

So...I pigged out today - well not really, but I ate a lot more than I normally do - which of course made me feel lousy. So, I decided to try my parents' elliptical. I wasn't sure what to expect - I used to use it once in a while when I went to visit them for the weekend and I remember feeling like I was going to die after about 30 minutes. I knew I was in better shape now than likely I had ever been - so I planned on 30 minutes. Well 30 minutes turned into 60 - I probably could have gone further, but enough was enough - it's like a treadmill you get nowhere! I had my Garmin 301 on with the chest strap - had an average HR of 162 - which I think probably gave me a pretty good CV workout. Machine said I burned 900 calories - which I think probably got me to about even or negative for the day. Very importantly - no knee or foot pain (they say ellipticals are good for non-impact workouts) and my foot isn't hurting as much now (maybe it's the 600mg of Motrin I took before I started, maybe I stretched the fascia, maybe it's the placebo effect of getting back out there and exercising again. It feels great to exercise - I love it!

Anyway, I am returning back to the US on a flight tomorrow night, will be back Thursday morning. Hoping to do a long run with Danny and Sara on Friday.

Wanted to give a shout-out to the new people who have visited my blog - thanks so much for your comments. You guys rule - I wish I was in the same league as you guys.

Also, a quick word - thanks to everybody who has played such important roles in my life, to my parents especially (I know you check out this blog even though you refuse to post), my family and my friends - especially the close ones. The support you have given me throughout my life has really made it possible to accomplish what I have.

One last thing - let me point out a new feature - in the right sidebar - the movie of the day/week/month - not sure how often I will change it, I find them funny - hope you do.

6 Comments:

Blogger Danny said...

i don't suppose you ever considered the possibility that you've done too much too fast... while you're googling, look up "overuse injuries"!

anyway, we missed you at the bbq tonight. have a safe flight back, and i'll see you thur or fri.

10:23 PM  
Blogger tinablue87 said...

Enjoy your last day there and see you when you get back.

12:56 AM  
Blogger kivster said...

"Said in my best Stuie Griffin voice"
Damn Danny! you have beguiled me since the say I set foot on the Bronx running paths.

1:02 AM  
Blogger Darrell said...

It's been a long time since I graduated, but Family Guy would have been a funny way to end it.

I also have to agree with Danny. Take it easy on the leg. You've still got plenty of time before your big day in Sin City.

1:25 AM  
Blogger Audrey said...

Take care of yourself! Cross-training is the key to all things good :) I am a huge injury googler too...Travel safe.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Eli7tw said...

I don't understand why my favorite kivs insists on injuring himself?

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home